Tetlit Service Co-operative Limited\
Fort McPherson, NT X0E 0J0
Ph: (867) 952-2417
Fax: (867) 952-2602
Incorporated in 1972, Tetlit Service Co-op operates
a retail facility and hotel/restauran; this includes
a conference and cultural centre that displays local
artifacts and art. Other businesses operated by this
Co-op include fuel delivery, a gas bar, cable television
services, a post office and other local services. The
traditional name is Teetl'it Zheh (Town at the head
of the waters).
About the Community
was established in 1852 when a Gwich'in village named
Old Fort moved from six kilometres upriver to the present
town site and is located on a triangular bluff overlooking
the Peel River, at the southwestern edge of the Mackenzie
Delta. In 1860, an Anglican mission was set up by Father
Grollier, and in 1903 a Royal Canadian Mounted Police
(RCMP) detachment was built.
Traditionally, the Teetl'it Gwich'in people of the area
moved between the Richardson Mountains and the river
valleys according to seasonal hunting and fishing opportunities.
They were known to visit the Hudson Bay trading post
to exchange goods.
Eventually, many settled in the community now known
as Fort McPherson. Fort McPherson has a population of
approximately 776. More than 80 percent of the population
is of Gwich'in descent, making Fort McPherson the largest
Gwich'in settlement in the Northwest Territories. The
economy of the community is primarily based on hunting,
trapping and oil exploration.